- Carroll College B.S., accounting, 1978
- American Graduate School of International Management, M.A., International Management, 1979
- Retirement, succession planning, financing, tax compliance, long-range planning
- Specialty areas include distribution, manufacturing, construction, healthcare, retail, retirement plans and non-profit organizations
Donald J. Caldwell, CPA
Don Caldwell directs the firm's tax practice. He has over 30 years of experience providing tax and profitability planning to high-worth individuals and companies. Before joining Delap, he worked for two years as an accountant for Temkin, Ziskin, Kahn & Matzner in southern California.
Don got his first taste of accounting as a young child, when his father required him to keep a record of the money coming in and going out before agreeing to give him the next week's allowance. Don decided to become an accountant in college, after talking to accounting professors on campus. "It's really the language of business," he says. "It involves helping people to define and achieve their goals, and it requires problem solving, which I find very satisfying."
Although Don was born in California, both of his parents hail from Oregon. His great grandfather traveled to Oregon City by wagon, and his grandmother, who died at age 105, was the first woman to graduate from law school at the University of Oregon. Outside of Delap, Don enjoys spending time with his wife and three children. He also likes to garden, and travel - mainly throughout the United States and Mexico. His favorite author is Isaac Asimov, and his favorite movie, "Ghandi. "I just thought it was a fascinating story," he says.
- Coming to Oregon to start work with Delap
- Becoming a partner
- Watching clients succeed in achieving the goals they've set for themselves
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 1982 - Present
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, 1982 - Present
- Current board member; former chair, Arts Council of Lake Oswego, 2003 - Present
- Member of his church finance committee
What's most enjoyable about working at Delap, Don says, is the quality of people and the diversity of clients: "I don't want to do the same job month in and month out. Here, things are always changing, which keeps things exciting."