What’s Next: Remaining Opportunity Zone Questions
November 6th, Delap hosted a webinar covering the details of Opportunity Zones. If you missed the live webinar we’ve shared a link to the recording below. The second set of proposed regulations are promised by the end of the year. Delap is looking to address some lingering questions and will be providing updates as soon as we learn more.
Remaining Questions on Opportunity Zones
- Are there any exceptions to the 180-day rule?
- Does there have to be a direct investment into a Qualified Opportunity Zone or can it be indirect? Perhaps some examples or flexibility here?
- Will a startup period be considered where the 90% test can be ignored for say the first 18 months?
- What’s reasonable cause for failing the 90% test?
- Can the 30-month substantial improvement period be extended?
- Will a sale be required prior to 12/31/2047 to generate the election to fair market value at that point? Perhaps an election without a sale will be allowed.
We will be following the release of the second set of proposed regulations on Opportunity Zones and we’ll keep you updated as we learn more. If you have questions for Delap, please do not hesitate to give us a call at (503) 697-4118 or contact us via email. Our advisors would be happy to talk with you!
Opportunity Zone Updates from Delap
November 6, 2018, Delap partner Melissa Wall presented on the new Opportunity Zones. This presentation should get you up-to-speed regarding the proposed regulations issued by the IRS and the Treasury Department on October 19. Here’s what was covered:
- An overview of the general structure of Opportunity Zones
- A summary of the highly anticipated proposed regulations from the IRS and US Treasury Department
If you’ve been waiting to learn more about how to use Opportunity Zones to temporarily defer or permanently exclude (at least until 2047) capital gains tax, click here to view the 30-minute webinar: